Tummy Tuck Scars
At Oasis of Hope Bariatrics, patients can find a wide range of treatments to assist them in shedding excessive weight. While these treatments are effective, many are left with imperfections, even after they have achieved their weight loss goals. It is not uncommon for people to deal with loose skin and stubborn deposits of fat after significant weight loss.
A tummy tuck rids the stomach of loose skin and excess fat, and repairs abdominal muscles to create a slimmer, firmer midsection. Many of our Tijuana, Mexico, patients are curious to learn more about the tummy tuck scars they can expect after treatment.
How Large Are Tummy Tuck Scars?
The size and location of tummy tuck scars will depend on what technique is used for the surgical procedure. Many of our Tijuana patients opt for a full tummy tuck, but some are suitable candidates for a mini tummy tuck.
- Full tummy tuck: A full tummy tuck addresses the entire midsection to flatten the tummy and tighten the skin from the pubic bone up to the rib cage. Because a full tummy tuck addresses the entire stomach, it requires a longer incision. One incision will extend from one hip bone to the other, just above the bikini line, and another will encircle the belly button. Patients can expect a visible scar all the way across the abdomen, just above the pubic area.
- Mini tummy tuck: A mini tummy tuck treats just the lower abdomen. This procedure flattens and tightens the pouch of skin and fat that often develops between the belly button and pubic bone. This procedure is more limited in its alterations, so the surgical incision is smaller. After a mini tummy tuck, patients will be left with a small horizontal scar that sits just above the bikini line in the middle of the abdomen.
Can I Prevent Scars?
Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent tummy tuck scars. As tissues heal to close wounds left by surgical incisions, scars will form. Although the color and thickness of scar tissue has a lot to do with each patient’s skin tone and texture, our doctors are precise with their surgical techniques so we can minimize scarring as much as possible for our patients. Additionally, incisions are carefully placed so that most can be easily hidden beneath a bikini or a pair of panties.
Caring for Tummy Tuck Scars
Although scars cannot be prevented, our Tijuana patients can take steps to promote healing so that scar tissue is less visible. Individuals should consider these tips when caring for scars:
- Follow all post-surgical care instructions
- Keep incision sites clean
- Take any prescribed antibiotics as directed to avoid infection
- Avoid sun exposure
- Consider starting a scar-treating tape or cream after incisions have healed
- Keep skin well moisturized
If loose skin and stubborn fat deposits are keeping you from fully enjoying the results of your weight loss efforts, you may be an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck. To learn more about this procedure and the recovery process, contact us at your earliest convenience or call Oasis of Hope Bariatrics at (619) 690-8417.